DIRECTORATE OF NATIONAL COOPERATIVE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES (DNCLA)
The library is administratively under the Directorate of National cooperative library and Archives. The directorate is made up of four departments namely: Technical Services, Readers’ Services and Circulation, Co-operative Documentation and Department of Archives. The Director reports to the Deputy Principal Academic.
Department of Technical Services and Circulation
The Technical Service Department is responsible for acquisition of library materials and record keeping. Acquisition of library materials consists of listing, ordering receiving and processing of all documents collections.
Specific functions of this department are to:-
- Process order requests including verification of bibliographic information.
- Receive items including timely processing of all received publications, i.e. recording, cataloguing; classification, indexing, abstracting and constructing annotated bibliography.
- Acknowledge and process gift materials
- Provide current awareness services through make library users informed about arrival of new publications and maintain current information of books on display.
- Examine acquisition renewal notes and subscription lists to determine the rate of demand of publications.
- Create annual budget to facilitate expenditure of funds and estimate funds commitments for future fiscal years.
- Provide bibliographic access to collection.
- Conducting stocktaking and stock counting
- Conduct final check of permanently processed and prepared material for accuracy and completeness and distribute processed materials to appropriate locations.
- Review database transactions for accuracy, completeness and consistency.
- Maintain shelf list and evaluate materials following retention procedures.
Department of Archives
This department is charged with the responsibility of identifying, collecting, acquiring, processing, preserving and providing access to cooperative archival materials for historic and academic purposes. It also is a preserver of rare and special collections as well as a contributor towards the achievement of the mission the university. The Cooperative Archives Department specific functions are:-
- To identify cooperative archival material and conserve them
- To create accessions record for acquired cooperative archival materials.
- To inform users of the content of the cooperative archives
- Records intellectuals’ content and enhance accessibility of cooperative archival material physical description.
- Guides descriptive repository and determine intellective arrangement and organization of cooperative archival materials
- Controlling and promoting use of archival materials through preservation, access control, display management and security of archival materials
- Conducting research on endangered archival materials
- Maintain statics of archival materials use preserve material in deferent format for example electronic forms etc.
- Provide finding aid answering questions, policies procedures and information about the nature and existence of the cooperative archives documentation access and reference service
- Exhibitions or display of subject or items in the archives and other academic events
- Create annual budget to facilitate expenditure of funds and estimates of running MUCCoBS Archival Department
- Digitizing of cooperative archival materials
Department of Readers Services and Circulation
Readers Services and Circulation Department provide services for library users; this is the major interface between MUCCoBS library and users. The output of all other departments of MUCCoBS library department is the input of this department
The main objectives of Readers’ Service and Circulation department is to satisfy users information needs , the specific function this department are;
- Circulation of library material this includes check in and checkout of borrowed materials
- Re-shelving library materials used by readers. This involves shelving of newly received materials, books returned and read by users. The purpose is to insure that every library material is in the right place so that retrieval can be facilitated
- Provision of user education programmes
- This include orientation programme whereby fresh student and other users are introduced to the library users are demonstrated about how to use On Line Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
- Provision of information services
- Maintain library use statistics and evaluation of services
Department of Cooperative Documentation and Information
Satisfaction of user’s information needs is the ultimate goal of this department. The specific functions of Cooperative Documentation and Information Department are:-
- To disseminate information on cooperative development.
- Recording and make accessible cooperative development information.
- Planning cooperative information, documentation, reproduction, processing into information media.
- Design a plan of information techniques, economy, budget, cost plan, for dissemination of cooperative development information.
- Facilitate storage, retrieval and search of cooperative information.
- Design searching tools such as Indexing, abstracting etc.
- Support and facilitate research activities.
- Digitization of cooperative documents.
- Establish reference facility for cooperative development.
- Prepare and issue cooperative information materials in accordance with established procedures.
- Coordinate scientific cooperative information to the users.